GF, GrF, DF
2 cans skinless, boneless wild salmon (Bear and Wolf is a good brand found at Costco)
1-2 stalks of celery, diced
1 apple or pear, cubed or ½ - ¾ cup red grapes, sliced in half
2 tablespoons lemon juice or mayonnaise
6 cups mixed greens
2 carrots, shredded
2/3 cup walnuts or slivered almonds
1. Open the canned salmon and place in a medium sized bowl.
2. Mix diced celery and sliced grapes or apples in with salmon and stir in lemon juice.
3. Plate up 1 cup of greens on each plate. Sprinkle shredded carrots and walnuts over the greens.
4. Scoop ½ cup of salmon and place on top of salad greens.
5. Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over salmon and salad greens.
Basil-Balsamic Salad Dressing
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons finely chopped basil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons of agave nectar, pure maple syrup, or honey
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Place all ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well. Drizzle over your favorite green salad or fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. You can also use this dressing to make a perky cold white bean or pasta salad – a perfect nutritious side dish.
*You can keep dressing stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
Recipe by Leigh Wagner PhD, MS, RDN