GF, GrF, DF
1 pound tilapia
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons sea salt
¼ cup lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder or Mexican seasoning (2 teaspoons chili powder + 1 teaspoon ground cumin)
1 onion, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 taco shells or fresh gluten-free tortillas (corn, teff, rice)
¼ - 1/3 head green cabbage
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 green onion, sliced or minced
½ to 1 teaspoon chopped jalapenos or 1 teaspoon Serrano chili, to taste
1 tablespoon Veganaise (dairy and egg-free mayo) or olive oil mayonnaise or organic Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon cumin seeds or ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional taco fillings:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Rinse the tilapia under cool running water the place in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt, lime juice, and chili powder then pour marinade over the fish. Let stand for 10-15 minutes; the longer time will allow for increased flavor absorption.
3. Lightly grease the bottom of a glass baking dish. Place the marinated tilapia in dish and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes until it flakes with a fork. While the fish is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté until hot.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage with the remaining ingredients.
5. Warm taco shells according to the directions on the package.
6. Cut each hot fish fillet into 6-8 pieces and place in warmed tortilla with slaw and desired fixings.