4 medium acorn squash (about 1.5 lbs each)
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
½ pound sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 medium apple, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons caraway seed
1 teaspoon dried or fresh sage leaves
4 cups fresh baby spinach
2 Tablespoons minced fresh thyme
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (I love Bragg's)
*Optional: 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped or shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Cut a slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place in a roasting pan, hollow side down; add ¼ inch of hot water. Bake uncovered, 45 minutes.
2. While squash is roasting, in a large skillet, cook: (sausage, bell pepper, mushrooms, apple, onion, dried seasonings) over medium heat ~8-10 minutes; drain.
3. Add spinach, and seasonings. Stir about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Remove squash from pan. Drain liquid.
5. Return squash to pan, open side up, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese (optional) and vinegar into the squash mixture. Spoon into squash. Bake ~8 minutes or until squash is tender (easily pierced with a fork).
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home